A helicopter crashed in a remote, mountainous area of northern Kenya on Wednesday morning, killing all seven people aboard, including five Americans, authorities said.
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said the aircraft, a Eurocopter EC130 B4 registered as 5Y-GYM, went down around 9:13 a.m. local time in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County. Samburu Police Commander David Nkoroi confirmed later Wednesday that all seven people aboard, six passengers and the pilot, had died.

The U.S. State Department confirmed five of those killed were American citizens. “We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones on their loss,” a department spokesperson said, adding that the U.S. Embassy was in contact with local authorities and providing consular assistance.
What We Know So Far
Reports differed on the helicopter’s exact route, though later reporting has largely converged on one account. The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said the aircraft was flying toward the Ewaso Nyiro river, which flows through the Samburu National Reserve, when it crashed, an account echoed by multiple Kenyan outlets and later corroborated by a KCAA spokesperson cited in additional reporting. A single earlier report, citing the helicopter’s operator, had described the flight as originating from Suyian Conservancy, a 44,000 acre private wildlife refuge, en route to Ololokwe instead. Given that the Ewaso Nyiro route has since been confirmed by multiple independent sources, including the aviation authority directly, that account appears to be the more reliable version of the flight’s path.
The aircraft was operated by Lady Lori Helicopters, which said in a statement it was operating a charter flight carrying guests associated with travel company andBeyond. “Our deepest sympathies are with the guests, crew, their families and loved ones, and all those affected by this tragic accident,” the company said, adding that it was fully cooperating with the investigation.
Kenya’s Ministry of Roads and Transport, through its Air Accident Investigation Department, is leading the investigation into the crash’s cause. Kenya’s Red Cross said search and recovery efforts were hampered by difficult terrain and a fire at the crash site, prompting the deployment of an additional crew from Isiolo to reinforce the operation. Video footage verified by NBC News showed wreckage scattered across the foothills, with some debris still burning. Tropic Air Kenya, a local safari operator, said it dispatched two of its own helicopters to assist with search and rescue.
Among those confirmed killed was José Suárez, president and general manager of the Telemundo owned stations in Orlando, Tampa and Fort Myers, Florida. He was identified in an internal memo to NBCUniversal employees signed jointly by News Group Chairman Cesar Conde, NBCU Local Chairman Valari Staab and Telemundo station group president Jose Cancela, according to a copy of the memo obtained by Variety. The memo described Suárez as a deeply respected leader and beloved friend and colleague across NBCU Local and NBCU News Group, adding that he brought energy, humor, warmth and a strong sense of purpose to his work and that his impact was felt far beyond the stations he led.
Before becoming a station leader, Suárez served as director of creative services and programming for WTVJ in Miami, part of a broader career spanning nearly 20 years across NBCUniversal that included leading stations in San Antonio, Sacramento, Fresno, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas prior to his role in Florida. Over the course of his career he received multiple industry honors, including a Lone Star Emmy, a Suncoast Emmy, three Cleveland chapter Emmys for daily newscast work, and multiple Associated Press awards.
Ecuador’s government confirmed that Michele Sensi-Contugi, director general of the country’s National Intelligence Center and a close associate of Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, also died in the crash, along with his wife, Stephany Hollihan, who held both U.S. and Ecuadorian citizenship. The couple, who are survived by two children, had been visiting Kenya as tourists. Ecuador’s National Assembly said flags would fly at half-staff at parliament for three days in mourning.
One Kenyan outlet published a list of names it attributed to all seven victims aboard, but that list could not be corroborated by other news organizations and included details that directly conflict with confirmed reporting elsewhere, including listing a victim under a name and gender inconsistent with the multiply confirmed identity of José Suárez. Given those inconsistencies, that particular victim list should be treated with caution pending official confirmation from Kenyan or U.S. authorities.
The identities of the remaining victims had not been officially released as of the latest reporting.
Why This Matters
Mount Ololokwe, also known as Ol Donyo Sabache, has become an increasingly popular tourist destination in Kenya in recent years, drawn by its distinctive flat topped silhouette rising above the surrounding arid landscape and its popularity among photographers. That growing tourism relies heavily on domestic charter operators to ferry visitors to remote, scenic locations, a dependence that carries inherent risk given the region’s difficult terrain.
Wednesday’s crash adds to a pattern of increasingly frequent helicopter accidents in Kenya’s tourism sector. In February, a sitting legislator was among six people killed in a helicopter crash in a hilly area of western Kenya, underscoring recurring safety concerns tied to charter flight operations serving the country’s tourism industry.
The deaths of a senior Ecuadorian intelligence official and a prominent U.S. media executive in the same crash have drawn attention from two governments simultaneously, with both Washington and Quito issuing formal condolences and providing consular or diplomatic support to affected families.
What Happens Next
Kenyan investigators are continuing to examine the cause of the crash, with the Air Accident Investigation Department leading the formal inquiry. Authorities have not indicated when they expect to determine what caused the aircraft to go down.
Full identification of all seven victims is expected as next of kin notifications are completed and official statements from Kenyan authorities, the U.S. State Department and Ecuador’s government are finalized. Given the ongoing search and recovery challenges posed by the crash site’s difficult terrain, additional details about the circumstances of the accident may take time to emerge.
Reporting drawn from Fox News, NBC News, the Associated Press, the New York Post, Variety, Citizen Digital and Kenyans.co.ke



