A jury found rapper ASAP Rocky not guilty on two felony counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm in a Los Angeles courtroom on Friday. The verdict follows a three-week trial stemming from a 2021 shooting incident involving his former friend and bandmate, Terell Ephron, known as ASAP Relli.

Prosecutors alleged that Rocky, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, fired a gun at Ephron during a confrontation in Hollywood, an accusation the defense strongly denied. If convicted, Mayers could have faced up to 24 years in prison, though prosecutors had sought an eight-year sentence.
“This is not a difficult case,” Deputy District Attorney Paul Przelomiec said in his closing argument Thursday. “The question for you to answer in this case boils down to really just one question: Did Mr. Mayers use a real gun or did he use a fake gun? Nothing else is in dispute.”
The defense argued that Ephron was the aggressor and had physically assaulted Mayers twice on the night of the incident. Attorney Joe Tacopina maintained that Mayers had carried a prop gun for personal safety in the absence of security and fired to deter an attack on a mutual friend.
Rihanna, Mayers’ longtime partner, was seen arriving at the courthouse with their two children ahead of closing arguments, according to footage obtained by TMZ.
Mayers pleaded not guilty and opted not to testify in his own defense. He also rejected a pre-trial plea deal that would have resulted in a 180-day jail sentence.
“I want my right not to testify,” he told Superior Court Judge Mark Arnold last week.
The trial drew widespread attention due to Mayers’ high-profile status in the music industry and his relationship with Rihanna. With the jury’s decision, the rapper avoids prison time and clears his name in a case that has captivated both the hip-hop community and the public.