TikTok Service Restored in U.S. Thanks to Trump’s Intervention

Date:

TikTok confirmed Sunday that it had restored service to users in the United States after President-elect Donald Trump announced he would reinstate the app’s access once he returns to power on Monday.

The announcement came after U.S. users were able to access TikTok’s website, though the mobile app appeared unavailable. TikTok stated it was “in agreement with our service providers” and was working to fully restore the app’s functionality.

“We thank President Trump for providing the necessary clarity and assurance to our service providers,” TikTok said in a statement. “This will allow TikTok to continue providing services to over 170 million Americans and support more than 7 million small businesses across the country.”

The app had been temporarily suspended for its U.S. users on Saturday due to the implementation of a law set to take effect on Sunday, which aimed to ban the app on national security grounds. U.S. officials had expressed concerns that the app, owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, could pose a risk to Americans’ data privacy.

In a statement, Trump said he would delay the enforcement of the ban and work to reach a deal to protect national security. He also indicated plans to ensure a 50% U.S. ownership stake in any joint venture involving TikTok.

Earlier, Trump had suggested that he would likely grant TikTok a 90-day reprieve from the shutdown once he takes office, a promise that was acknowledged by TikTok in a notification to users.

The shutdown of TikTok had significant implications for U.S.-China relations, the political landscape, the social media industry, and millions of U.S. users who rely on the app both culturally and economically.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

6 Dead in Alleged Dynamite Attack Amid Bolivia Gold-Mining Dispute

A violent confrontation between rival gold-mining collectives in Bolivia...

At Least 16 Dead as Refugee Boats Sink Between Turkiye and Greece

At least 16 people have died after two refugee...

South Africa’s White Afrikaner Separatists Seek U.S. Support for Statehood

Orania, South Africa—A group of white Afrikaners seeking autonomy...

For Second Day, Wall Street Ends with Heavy Losses as Trump Tariff Fears Stoke Recession Concerns

NEW YORK — Wall Street tumbled on Thursday, marking...