FIFA Bans Paredes for 10 Games Over World Cup Final Brawl

Date:

FIFA suspended three Argentina players and an assistant coach Friday over a brawl that broke out after Argentina’s loss to Spain in the World Cup final, with midfielder Leandro Paredes receiving a 10-match ban that ranks among the most severe sanctions in World Cup history.

The scuffle erupted at the final whistle in East Rutherford, New Jersey, after Spain beat Argentina in extra time. FIFA said Paredes faced three separate assault counts, including grabbing Spain’s Eric Garcia by the throat and shoving Gavi to the ground. Argentina defender Nahuel Molina, who FIFA said instigated the on-field brawl by colliding with Spain’s Rodri as he ran to celebrate with teammates, faced two assault counts and received a seven-match ban. Both players were fined 90,000 dollars each.

Argentina’s Thiago Almada and Spain’s Gavi each faced one count of unsporting behavior and received one-match suspensions, with fines of 30,000 dollars apiece. Argentina assistant coach Roberto Ayala, who FIFA said faced one assault count and had publicly apologized for his role in the incident, received a three-match ban and a 30,000 dollar fine.

What We Know So Far

Paredes’s ban is effectively a one-year expulsion from the Argentina national team, since FIFA’s international match calendar includes 10 games for national teams through June 2027, all of which are expected to be friendlies given no competitive fixtures are currently scheduled. Gavi’s one-match ban will keep him out of Spain’s Nations League match against England at Wembley on September 26.

Reports differed significantly on the size of the fine imposed on the Argentine Football Association. One account put the federation’s fine at 110,000 dollars, separate from an additional 100,000 dollars FIFA ordered AFA to spend on anti-racism initiatives. Other reporting described a single, larger fine of 321,000 dollars, of which 100,000 dollars was earmarked specifically for anti-discrimination programming. That is a substantial discrepancy in the total financial penalty, and it had not been resolved across the differing accounts.

FIFA said the federation’s fine covered breaches including using a sports event for non-sporting demonstrations, team misconduct, and discriminatory chants and gestures by supporters. Part of the underlying conduct involved Argentina players carrying a banner reading “Las Malvinas Son Argentinas,” or “The Falklands are Argentine,” onto the field after their semifinal win over England, a reference to the disputed Falkland Islands.

FIFA also ordered restrictions on stadium capacity for Argentina’s upcoming home matches, though accounts again differed slightly on the exact structure. One report described a single upcoming home game restricted to 50 percent capacity, with a second stadium sanction deferred. A more detailed account described two upcoming home matches restricted to 50 percent capacity, with the implementation of one of those two matches, along with 100,000 dollars of the fine, suspended under a probationary period. Read together, the sanctions appear to involve two total stadium related penalties, with at least one taking immediate effect and the other conditional or delayed.

Argentina received 34 million dollars in World Cup prize money from FIFA, a figure that puts the scale of the financial penalties in context relative to the tournament’s overall payout to the federation.

What Authorities Are Saying

The Argentine Football Association said in a statement that its legal department would formally request the grounds for the rulings from FIFA in order to file appeals with the governing body’s appeal committee, while reserving the option of a final appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Andres Paton Urich, AFA’s legal manager, told Argentine outlet Ole that the federation’s efforts are focused specifically on reducing the length of the suspensions given to Paredes and Molina.

Why This Matters

Paredes’s 10-match ban places him alongside some of the most severe individual sanctions in World Cup history. It matches the ban given to Croatia’s Josip Simunic in 2013 after he used a megaphone to lead fans in a chant associated with the country’s pro-Nazi wartime regime, and it ranks with, though does not exceed, the punishment given to Uruguay’s Luis Suarez in 2014, who received a four-month ban from all soccer, including for his club Barcelona, plus eight additional Uruguay competition games, after biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini.

The scale of the individual and federation level sanctions reflects FIFA’s stated intent to treat postgame violence and discriminatory conduct as serious disciplinary matters rather than incidental to the sport, particularly given the global visibility of a World Cup final. The Falklands banner incident adds a distinct political dimension to the case, since FIFA’s disciplinary code explicitly prohibits using sporting events for non-sporting demonstrations, a rule that intersects with a genuinely contested geopolitical issue between Argentina and the United Kingdom.

With no competitive Argentina matches currently scheduled before June 2027, Paredes’s suspension may end up affecting him primarily in exhibition contexts rather than meaningful competitive play, softening the practical impact of the ban even as it remains symbolically significant.

What Happens Next

AFA is expected to pursue an appeal of the longer suspensions and larger fines through FIFA’s own appeal committee first, with the Court of Arbitration for Sport available as a final avenue if that internal appeal does not succeed. Given AFA’s stated focus on reducing Paredes’s and Molina’s bans specifically, those two suspensions are likely to be the central focus of any formal appeal filed in the coming weeks.

The unresolved discrepancy in the total fine amount imposed on AFA may become clearer as FIFA’s full written ruling is released and reviewed by the federation’s legal team, a document AFA said it plans to request as part of its appeal preparations.

Reporting drawn from the Associated Press, Reuters and Sports Illustrated

Simeon Bateren
Simeon Baterenhttps://bobnews24.com/
Simeon Bateren is an author and news writer at BobNews24, where he covers breaking news, global affairs, entertainment, and current events. He is committed to delivering accurate, timely, and engaging stories that keep readers informed about developments from around the world. BobNews24

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

[tds_leads title_text="Subscribe" input_placeholder="Email address" btn_horiz_align="content-horiz-center" pp_checkbox="yes" pp_msg="SSd2ZSUyMHJlYWQlMjBhbmQlMjBhY2NlcHQlMjB0aGUlMjAlM0NhJTIwaHJlZiUzRCUyMiUyMyUyMiUzRVByaXZhY3klMjBQb2xpY3klM0MlMkZhJTNFLg==" f_title_font_family="653" f_title_font_size="eyJhbGwiOiIyNCIsInBvcnRyYWl0IjoiMjAiLCJsYW5kc2NhcGUiOiIyMiJ9" f_title_font_line_height="1" f_title_font_weight="700" f_title_font_spacing="-1" msg_composer="success" display="column" gap="10" input_padd="eyJhbGwiOiIxNXB4IDEwcHgiLCJsYW5kc2NhcGUiOiIxMnB4IDhweCIsInBvcnRyYWl0IjoiMTBweCA2cHgifQ==" input_border="1" btn_text="I want in" btn_tdicon="tdc-font-tdmp tdc-font-tdmp-arrow-right" btn_icon_size="eyJhbGwiOiIxOSIsImxhbmRzY2FwZSI6IjE3IiwicG9ydHJhaXQiOiIxNSJ9" btn_icon_space="eyJhbGwiOiI1IiwicG9ydHJhaXQiOiIzIn0=" btn_radius="3" input_radius="3" f_msg_font_family="653" f_msg_font_size="eyJhbGwiOiIxMyIsInBvcnRyYWl0IjoiMTIifQ==" f_msg_font_weight="600" f_msg_font_line_height="1.4" f_input_font_family="653" f_input_font_size="eyJhbGwiOiIxNCIsImxhbmRzY2FwZSI6IjEzIiwicG9ydHJhaXQiOiIxMiJ9" f_input_font_line_height="1.2" f_btn_font_family="653" f_input_font_weight="500" f_btn_font_size="eyJhbGwiOiIxMyIsImxhbmRzY2FwZSI6IjEyIiwicG9ydHJhaXQiOiIxMSJ9" f_btn_font_line_height="1.2" f_btn_font_weight="700" f_pp_font_family="653" f_pp_font_size="eyJhbGwiOiIxMyIsImxhbmRzY2FwZSI6IjEyIiwicG9ydHJhaXQiOiIxMSJ9" f_pp_font_line_height="1.2" pp_check_color="#000000" pp_check_color_a="#ec3535" pp_check_color_a_h="#c11f1f" f_btn_font_transform="uppercase" tdc_css="eyJhbGwiOnsibWFyZ2luLWJvdHRvbSI6IjQwIiwiZGlzcGxheSI6IiJ9LCJsYW5kc2NhcGUiOnsibWFyZ2luLWJvdHRvbSI6IjM1IiwiZGlzcGxheSI6IiJ9LCJsYW5kc2NhcGVfbWF4X3dpZHRoIjoxMTQwLCJsYW5kc2NhcGVfbWluX3dpZHRoIjoxMDE5LCJwb3J0cmFpdCI6eyJtYXJnaW4tYm90dG9tIjoiMzAiLCJkaXNwbGF5IjoiIn0sInBvcnRyYWl0X21heF93aWR0aCI6MTAxOCwicG9ydHJhaXRfbWluX3dpZHRoIjo3Njh9" msg_succ_radius="2" btn_bg="#ec3535" btn_bg_h="#c11f1f" title_space="eyJwb3J0cmFpdCI6IjEyIiwibGFuZHNjYXBlIjoiMTQiLCJhbGwiOiIxOCJ9" msg_space="eyJsYW5kc2NhcGUiOiIwIDAgMTJweCJ9" btn_padd="eyJsYW5kc2NhcGUiOiIxMiIsInBvcnRyYWl0IjoiMTBweCJ9" msg_padd="eyJwb3J0cmFpdCI6IjZweCAxMHB4In0="]
spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

At Least 46 Dead, Mostly Children, After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

An overloaded boat capsized Thursday in Nigeria's northwestern Sokoto...

Russian Missile and Drone Barrage Kills at Least 15 in Kyiv

Russia launched an hours-long barrage of missiles and drones...

US National Debt Surpasses $40 Trillion for First Time

The total U.S. national debt topped 40 trillion dollars...

Prince Harry and Meghan Planning Return to UK With Children

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of...