An 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked a high school in the central Swedish town of Fagersta on Friday, killing one person and seriously injuring two teenage boys, police said.
The attack occurred at Brinell School while classes were in session, with an estimated 400 to 500 students on campus. The school had just reopened following summer break, and for some students Friday marked their first day back.

Police said they received an alarm around 2:06 p.m. local time reporting suspected deadly violence and dispatched all available resources to the school. The suspect was arrested following the attack, and police confirmed shots were fired during the arrest, though it was not immediately clear whether he had been injured. He was being held in custody rather than treated at a hospital.
What We Know So Far
Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said investigators have no reason at this time to believe there were multiple perpetrators, though the investigation remains ongoing. He said Sweden’s national police had already carried out two house searches connected to the suspect and that many witnesses were expected to be interviewed in the coming days. Alriksson said limited additional information was being released publicly in order to avoid influencing witness accounts.
Public broadcaster SVT, citing unnamed sources, reported the suspect was a former student at the school with a prior conviction for assault, and that he was wearing a helmet and carrying a sword during the attack. That detail had not been independently confirmed by police as of the latest reporting.
Vastmanland County officials said the two seriously injured victims were boys between 12 and 17 years old, according to the TT news agency. Officials did not provide identifying details about the person who died. One student at the school described seeing a victim with a stab wound to the arm before fleeing the area in fear as classmates called police.
Police cordoned off a wide area around the school as part of their response, and several nearby schools and public buildings in Fagersta were placed in lockdown following the attack, with roadblocks set up in the surrounding area. Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad said authorities would examine whether camera footage from the scene could be used as part of the preliminary investigation.
The Fagersta city government set up a crisis center in a sports hall near the school, and Vastmanland County said police, fire services and healthcare workers were caring for the many people affected by the attack.
What Authorities Are Saying
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson addressed the attack in an online post, calling it a serious incident that occurred right after the summer break. “We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” Kristersson said, adding that his thoughts were with everyone affected.
Alriksson said police were withholding certain details of the investigation deliberately, citing the need to protect the integrity of witness interviews still to come.
Why This Matters
Friday’s attack comes almost exactly a year after a mass shooting at a school in Orebro, also in central Sweden, in which a gunman killed 10 people before turning the weapon on himself in what remains the deadliest mass shooting in Swedish history. The proximity in timing and location is likely to intensify public and political scrutiny of school safety measures across the country, even though the two incidents differ significantly in method and scale.
The attack’s timing, striking on students’ first days back after summer break, adds to its disruptive impact on the broader community, with multiple nearby schools and public buildings placed in lockdown as a precaution even though authorities said there was no continuing danger to the public. Sweden has generally maintained a reputation for low rates of school violence relative to some other countries, making back to back serious incidents within roughly a year notable regardless of their differing circumstances.
What Happens Next
Police are continuing their investigation, including further witness interviews and examination of any available camera footage from the scene. Authorities have not disclosed a motive for the attack and said the inquiry remains active.
Swedish officials are likely to face questions in the coming days about school security measures and whether additional safeguards are needed following this attack and the earlier Orebro shooting. Support services for the school community, including the crisis center set up near Brinell School, are expected to remain active as students, families and staff process the incident.
Reporting drawn from the Associated Press and Sky News



