A federal judge in Manhattan vacated a Trump administration policy Friday that had suspended the processing of immigrant visas from Nigeria and 74 other countries, ruling that Secretary of State Marco Rubio exceeded his legal authority in issuing it.
U.S. District Judge Jeannette Vargas, an appointee of former President Joe Biden, found the policy contrary to law and in excess of statutory authority, saying it violated the Immigration and Nationality Act by directing the refusal of visas to eligible applicants without any legal basis. Vargas separately described the policy as patently unlawful in her written ruling.

The State Department announced the policy in January, building on a broader directive issued the previous November that tightened immigration rules related to applicants considered likely to become a public charge, or dependent on government assistance. The suspension affected applicants from a wide range of countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, the Balkans and the Caribbean, including Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, Somalia, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Bosnia, Albania, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt and Thailand.
What We Know So Far
Vargas ruled that the policy undermined a congressional requirement placing consular officers at the center of individual visa decisions. She wrote that Congress gave those officers exclusive authority and discretion to determine visa eligibility based on detailed statutory criteria, and that a blanket policy denying visas based solely on an applicant’s nationality directly abrogated that statutory framework.
The policy was challenged by two nonprofit organizations, the Catholic Legal Immigration Network and African Communities Together, along with 11 individual plaintiffs. Six of those individuals had family members who were refused visas under the policy, while the remaining five were applicants outside the United States who had filed employment based petitions to immigrate.
The State Department had defended the policy by citing data from the Council of Economic Advisers indicating that more than 30 percent of households with immigrants from the affected countries received some form of public assistance. A separate cable sent to all U.S. embassies and consulates, a copy of which was obtained by the Associated Press, directed consular officers to fully vet and screen non-immigrant visa applicants as well, requiring them to demonstrate they would not seek public benefits while in the United States, with officers instructed to require proof of financial standing from any applicant they suspected might apply for such benefits.
The State Department said in response to the ruling that the administration is focused on maintaining the highest standards of screening and vetting for visa applicants, and declined to comment further on pending litigation.
What Advocates Are Saying
Anna Gallagher, executive director of CLINIC, one of the plaintiff organizations, said the case was fundamentally about keeping families together. “This decision affirms both those values and the rule of law, allowing families to once again move forward toward reunification,” Gallagher said in a statement, citing Catholic social teaching on the dignity of the family.
Diana Konate, deputy executive director for policy and advocacy at African Communities Together, called the ruling a tremendous victory for the rule of law, describing the policy as an unlawful and racist ban that had caused immeasurable harm by keeping families and loved ones apart.
Why This Matters
The ruling adds to a growing pattern of federal courts blocking elements of the Trump administration’s broader immigration agenda. In June, a separate federal judge struck down another administration policy that had made it harder for immigrants from dozens of countries to secure asylum, work permits, green cards and citizenship, with that judge finding the policy had thrown countless immigrants’ lives into indeterminate legal limbo and accusing U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of disregarding the law.
The policy’s reliance on nationality as a blanket disqualifying factor, rather than individualized review of each applicant’s circumstances, sits at the center of the legal dispute, since federal immigration law explicitly assigns visa eligibility determinations to individual consular officers rather than to the secretary of state acting through categorical directives. Rights groups have argued that the broader immigration crackdown under the Trump administration, of which this policy was one part, has disproportionately affected immigrants from Africa, Asia and Latin America and raised concerns about racial profiling in how enforcement priorities are applied.
The scope of the original policy, covering 75 countries across multiple continents, meant its effects extended well beyond any single immigrant community, touching family reunification cases, employment based immigration petitions, and broader diplomatic relationships with the affected countries simultaneously.
What Happens Next
With the policy vacated, consular officers are expected to resume processing immigrant visa applications from the 75 previously affected countries under standard statutory criteria rather than the blanket nationality based suspension. It remains unclear whether the Trump administration will appeal Vargas’s ruling, given the State Department’s decision not to comment on the pending litigation beyond defending its broader vetting priorities.
Given the pattern of successive court rulings against different components of the administration’s immigration agenda, further legal challenges to related policies are likely, particularly given the administration’s continued pursuit of an expansive immigration and travel restriction agenda affecting numerous countries.
Reporting drawn from the Associated Press, Reuters and Fox News 10



